Teeter Hang Ups and Inversion Therapy
Indications are that historically inversion therapy dates as far back as 3000 BC with the most important era being around the 1970s when Dr. Robert Martin, Jr. launched a book on the effects of gravity on the human body and inversion therapy. This encouraged the fitness companies of the time to enter the inversion market with products such as the Bud Leach table and the BackSwing becoming exceptionally popular.
Today’s tools for inversion therapy are a lot more accessible and a lot more comfortable than the ones introduced in the market over 3 decades go. For instance, the Teeter Hang Ups inversion tables allow the users to select their desired angle of inversion. Users can also rotate on the precision balance system. All in all, today’s inversion tables allows the body to decompress in just a matter of minutes, naturally using the body’s weight and the effects of gravity on the joints to hydrate and decompress each joint. This “perfect” stretch helps naturally relieve back pain and improve balance, posture and symmetry.
In addition to the rehabilitative benefits of inversion therapy, many doctors and physical therapists are of the opinion that inversion can also be an effective way to prevent compression fatigue joint injuries. As a matter of fact, in recent years, it is believed that the U.S. Army Physical Fitness School included inversion into their worldwide physical training doctrine.
Teeter Hang Ups
Established in 1981, Teeter Hang Ups is today a market leader producing the best value inversion equipment with time-proven design and user security. As far as inversion tables go, Teeter is the only brand certified to UL 1647 and supported by an independent engineer evaluation. This basically means that if you want a natural, in-home solution to relieve back pain or joint fatigue and you value quality, you want Teeter Hang Ups.
Note at this point that we are not medical professionals. This post is only a tool to help inform you about the benefits of inversion therapy and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor before trying inversion or beginning any type of new exercise regimen.
The health benefits of inversion therapy
- It relieves back pain
- It improves circulation and accentuates blood and lymph flow
- It relieves stress and fatigue
- It increases blood flow and therefore oxygen supply to the brain
- It reduces the harmful effects of gravity of the joints of the body
- It improves flexibility, balance and spatial orientation
- It strengthens the body’s ligaments and overall fitness
- It promotes cartilage nutrition and joint lubrication
- Improves the body’s range of motion
- Encourages proper posture and the body’s symmetry
- It promotes workout recovery
- Relieves varicose veins
Medical research supporting inversion therapy
Following extensive research, the most important of which are listed in this section, researchers have noted that:
- Patients who were unable to go to work due to back pain could return to work after using inversion
- Inversion therapy reduces the need for sciatica back surgery
- Inverted traction is more effective than the mechanical traction machines used by medical professional
- Inversion increases spinal length
- Inversion reduces EMG activity which is an indicator of muscle pain
- Inverted traction decompresses the lumbar area
- Inversion reduces disc pressure
The most important medical findings supporting inversion therapy include:
- A randomized trial conducted at the Regional Neurosciences Centre at the Newcastle General Hospital in Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK proved that inversion therapy along with regular physiotherapy can decrease the need for an operation in sciatica due to single level disc protrusion.
- A study conducted in Sheffield, UK, at the Arch Phys Med Rehabilitation concluded that back pain can be improved by stretching of the paraspinal vertebral muscles and ligaments and possibly the widening of the intravertebral discs.
- A study by Ballantyne, Byron investigated the effects of inversion traction on the spinal column. The study concluded that inversion can be an effective means of spinal traction with subjects inverting in the hip flexed position experienced greater separation between the lumbar vertebrae.
Contraindications of inversion therapy
Inverting with an inversion table can provide innumerable health benefits. It can reduce back pain, decompress the spine, stretch muscles, relieve stress, improve circulation and help maintain a state of functional fitness.
However, if you have any of the following health conditions or if any of the following apply to your general state of well being, inversion therapy can prove to be a curse rather than a blessing.
1. The use of anti-coagulants
People sometimes use blood-thinning drugs or aspirin to reduce clotting of the arteries and blood vessels. The use of anti-coagulants is a signal of people at risk of circulatory problems. Inversion may exacerbate these medical conditions.
An inflammation of the transparent membrane that covers the front surface of the eyeball and the inner surface of the eyelids is called conjunctivitis. Inverting is not recommended in this case.
If you suffer from elevated pressure within the eye because of an obstruction of the outflow of the clear, watery fluid circulating in the chambers of the eye, inversion therapy is not recommended and can accentuate the problem.
4. Any condition involving the circulatory system
5. Inversion therapy is not an appropriate approach to the treatment of hernias.
6. High blood pressure, hypertension
Teeter EP-550 is the number one rated inversion table. Never before has an inversion table worked with your body the way the EP-550 does combining the Teeter Hang Ups Flex Technology, time-tested engineering and value-added features. The EP-550 is today the most popular inversion table on the market.
If you need a solution for your back pain or any other gravity-related health issues, this inversion table can be the wisest buy. At a list price of $304.65 with 29% off the original retail price on Amazon, you really can’t go wrong with the Teeter EP-550. Buy now and reap the health benefits of inversion. It’s totally worth it as proven by multiple medical researches.